Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Final Reflection

I've been home for several days now. My kids are accustomed to my presence again. Cade has finally stopped following me in to the bathroom and hanging on to my leg as I walk through the house. Ethan has stopped asking questions (about Indonesia). My husband is back to work. Aside from my ailing stomach, life is back to normal... or is it?

I told my dear friend the other day that I find myself being more patient and understanding with people. I look at my home, my school, and my town differently. I always tell my students how lucky they are to live in the United States, but I feel like this is the first time I REALLY get it. I can breathe the air, I can drink the water, I can afford to buy whatever I need, even on a teacher's salary. I am not judged or limited because of my gender. I have health care, waste management, and no worries of regularly scheduled black-outs due to shortage of electricity. I have air-conditioning, toilets, and an actual shower. Money does not dictate whether or not my children can attend public school and university is not a dream for only a select few. Yes, there is MUCH to be grateful for.

I've been communicating with several of my Indonesian colleagues/friends. I remember their kindness and smiles. I appreciate their desire to continue to collaborate and learn. I think of the "girl in pink", the "chocolate milk boy", the junior high "groupies", the thumb game boy, the alumni, and the student council and I pray for them. I pray for all of the students we met. I hope they will continue to see the value of education. I hope they will make a difference in their country which so desperately needs young people to pave the way.

I've tried to accurately portray my experiences, but it's so difficult to capture the true beauty of Indonesian culture. I've concluded that the traditional dance, music, art, and even the religion which so often defines them, do not define Indonesian culture for me. It's the people - the warm, intelligent, beautiful people who welcomed me and treated me with kindness, affection, and love. And for that, I will forever be grateful for this remarkable experience.


















- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment