Thursday, July 5, 2012

Planning, Anxiety, and Excitement... and some more anxiety.

There are only 5 days left before I travel to the other side of the world and the nerves have kicked in!  I am leaving before the rest of my colleagues to travel to Bali with my husband.  I'm finding it difficult to be completely excited at this point because I still have so much to do - a run to Target for more essentials, pack, finish a cultural presentation, prepare gifts, etc.  I'm also stressing (probably way more than I need to) about my attire during my teaching experience, accommodations, Ramadan, and the weather.  In my nervous state, everything seems like a big deal right now.

I am grateful that I get to travel the 20+ hours to Indonesia with my husband (flights make me nervous) and that we get to look forward to a relaxing time in Bali.  We have some amazing plans, including a unique bike tour through the rice paddies, ending with a meal at the guide's home.  Every person we have talked to who has traveled to Bali can't speak highly enough.  We're thrilled to spend some time in what seems to be a magical place!

On July 19, my husband will travel home and I will fly to Jakarta to meet up with my American colleagues from all over the nation.  I have to admit, I am extremely grateful that I will not be fighting jet-lag by that point as they will.  We received our agendas the other day and it certainly appears that we will be quite busy. 

Our initial days in Jakarta will be filled with presentations, meetings, visitations, cultural events, etc.  It's a bit overwhelming to look at on paper but also completely thrilling.  I know this is an opportunity of a lifetime and I'm looking forward to the unique experiences. 

After several days in Jakarta, I will be leaving for Tangerang (a suburb of Jakarta) where I will work in MAN Insan Cendekia school.  I've communicated a few times with my partner teacher (Yuna Kadarisman) who has been extremely kind.  In addition, I am fortunate enough to be have one travel partner to Tangerang.  My colleague (Jennifer) happens to come from Davis, CA and we get along beautifully!!!  We swear that our meeting and partnership was designed by the gods.  We talk/stress often and have even visited once.  Our teaming certainly eases my nerves.

After a little less than a week, we will return to Jakarta and reunite with our other colleagues.  There will be more meetings, visitations, sharing, etc.  I can only imagine how overloaded with information I will be. 

Three weeks.  It's a long time to be away from home.  More importantly, it's a long time to be away from my family.  I'm most nervous about missing my children.  They are fine (for now) anticipating trips to the Exploritorium, Monterey Bay Aquarium, and the Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk with their Nana and Papa and Disneyland/Carsland and the beach with their Grandma and Grandpa.  Needless-to-say, I wonder if they will even notice that I'm gone.  My three year old makes me smile when he says, "I can't wait for Mommy to go to In-do-neee-sia so I can go to Carsland!" 

So, it's back to the to-do lists.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you and your husband get to make the trip early and that you have some time to see other parts of Indonesia. I'm jealous of the time you'll have to get over the jet lag before the rest of us :-)

    I too am in "stress" mode. I leave on Sunday for a week in Honduras with my church's missions team. I then get home 2 days before heading off again to meet you and the rest of our cohort in Indonesia. Despite the stress, I'm super excited. I'm also glad I've found your blog!!

    My blog is set up at: www.roamingremoteroads.blogspot.com and my capstone is at www.tgccapstone.weebly.com. I have a tab on there with all of the other blogs which I know about. I'll be adding yours there too :-)

    See you soon!
    David in Oklahoma City

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy.....ACK! We can do this, I know, once we actually get there. It's always the preparations that stress me out the most. I can't imagine having a better travel partner - that's what I'm excited about!

    ReplyDelete